Our client, Universal Electric is a production and engineering company and a leader in the design, construction and maintenance of energy facilities. Continuous monitoring of the equipment’s technical condition is a key maintenance process and is performed on a set of characteristics: vibration, current, thermal indicators. This is carried out by the company's specialized staff, the inspectors.
At the moment, equipment inspection data is written down on paper, then it gets scanned and processed. Our client's customers do not entirely trust the data collected, as the inspectors do not always do their work and inspect the equipment in good faith. This leads to huge losses in time, quality and profits.
Digitize equipment inspection, data collection and processing by building MES (manufacturing execution system) for admins and mobile application for inspectors. Reduce the time for data collection and analysis, and improve data quality.
The solution delivered includes two components:
1. Mobile inspector that automates the process of collecting and transmitting equipment data;
2. MES, which automates the supervision of inspectors and allows admins to analyze and manage all data collected.
The design phase allowed us to delve deeper into the client's requirements and project specifics, create detailed documentation, and create the equipment inspection app and admin panel design.
The key requirements and constraints for the first version that we have taken into account in the design and development of the solution are:
• The design of the mobile app must comply with Universal Electric's style guide.
• The main users of the mobile app are inspectors and analysts, while the MES admin panel is for analysts and administrators.
• Integration with the devices used by inspectors will take place via the parent software of the devices.
• The company will add NFC tags to equipment that will reduce inspection time and ensure data reliability.
• The equipment maintenance app must work offline, as there is almost no internet connection in factories.
The application allows for the rapid collection, storage and processing of data from equipment inspection and fault rectification tasks.
The key features of the mobile inspector are:
• Login. It is completed through filling in the factory details, employee’s name and personal PIN code.
• Assignment list. An employee automatically receives an assignment list for the work shift, with checklists for each piece of equipment to be inspected. It also contains a list of equipment with detailed descriptions and instructions.
The assignment list is generated either automatically by the system or manually by an admin. Start and end times are recorded so that managers can monitor the employee's performance.
• Equipment checklist. Each checklist consists of yes/no questions, multiple choice and measurements input. It is integrated with measurement tools so that measurement values are downloaded automatically to the application and database.
The checklist opens easily with a single tap or after scanning an NFC tag located on the equipment. Start and end times are recorded and given time for each checklist can be limited.
• Defects detection. If the data entered by the inspector deviates from the specified ranges, equipment defects are automatically detected. In this case the inspector should register a defect (name, criticality level, etc.), add comments, images and videos.
This information is passed on to analysts who get notified. Each piece of equipment has a defect history, which can be viewed both by analysts and inspectors.
The MES allows for automated and visualized tracking of inspectors' work. With the admin panel, analysts get access to data that has already been digitized and organized, and admins can easily manage the components of the system.
The analysts' admin panel consists of
• navigation panel (defects, equipment, positions, etc.),
• filter panel (equipment type, inspection period, etc.),
• data tables.
With its simple functionality and intuitive design, analysts can easily view lists of all equipment and defects in the system, examine its inspection details, and receive notifications of deviations.
Admins can view, manage and edit all system components including
• equipment checklists,
• users, etc.
Elasticsoft team has successfully implemented the mobile inspector and MES for our client Universal Electric.
The solution has reduced equipment downtime by 10%. It has also decreased inspection time, operational costs and the possibility of unexpected breakdowns. And it has, on the contrary, improved data quality and accuracy, repair time predictions, analysts’ operational efficiency, staff and process management.
Further versions of the system are planned to promote and strengthen the company's brand and provide access to more features and users.
When I ask a question, their project manager is always there to answer quickly. Whenever I need to talk to him, he makes himself available. The whole project is quite a challenge, and Elasticsoft is coping with it perfectly well.
Fill out the form and our rep will contact you within 1 business day.